- Ruling the Savage Periphery: Frontier Governance and the Making of the Modern State 2020
- Ghetto: The History of a Word 2019
- What Remains: Bringing America’s Missing Home from Vietnam 2019
- LESSONS IN CENSORSHIP: How Schools and Courts Subvert Students' First Amendment Rights 2015
- Allies of the State: Democratic Support and Regime Support among China’s Private Entrepreneur 2010
- UNDERSTANDING PRIVACY 2008
- Brotherhoods of Color: Black Railroad Workers and the Struggle for Equality 2001
- Black boys’ socio-emotional learning and development: Understanding and interrogating the role of socializing agents.